Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

Today I am thinking about all the years I spent in military service. Beginning in 1952 I joined the Marine Corps reserve while in the late months of my junior year in high school and remained active all through my senior year. In September of 1953 I joined the regular Marine Corps and went to boot camp at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, California.

Within in minutes of stepping off the bus at the recruit depot, about 9:00 p.m., I knew I had made a bad choice. I was pushed up against a wall and shouted at by the sergeant of the guard at the gate. When all the men, they were really boys, got off the bus we were marched to a large barracks complex. Nothing much happened for the rest of the night. The next morning was an unexpected hell.

Nevertheless, despite the initial shock of drill instructors and adjusting to 24 hour military life, I was extremely proud that I had completed boot camp and was on my way to being full-fledged Marine. I spent three years in the Marine Corps as combat correspondent. Served in the 3rd Marine Division in Japan and the 1st Marine Division in Korea and Camp Pendleton, California.

After release from active duty in the Marine Corps I remained active in reserve components. I joined the Army reserve and was in a military police criminal investigation detachment as a photographer. Later I entered the ROTC program and earned a commission in the Military Intelligence Branch.

In the Army I served two one year tours in Viet Nam.

The Viet Nam Memorial in Washington is very special to me. I knew some of the men listed on the wall.

Remember all those who have served their country in times of peace and war. The military life is difficult, but the remembrance of friends and places wipes away most of the hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment