Monday, May 30, 2011

Learning to Use an iPad

Ipads are not unknown to me. I have never actually seen one or held one in my hand until my two year old grandson arrived for a visit the other day. I did find the device intriguing; however, I am still not certain what it can be used for except providing information. I do not think you can send anything to another person on it. I should admit, however, I have not yet tried to do that. Another shortcoming, it seems to me, is that I cannot write a story on it then have it printed on one of my printing devices. I am certain, however, all those issues will be resolved some day. Probably by doing away with printers and paper. That is a change a septuagenarian may not be able to accept. Holding sheaves of paper in my hand to read the fine print is a habit I probably will not break.

My age and lack of technical understanding came back hard on me when my two year old grandson began to show me how he can use and iPad. He knows which "app" he wants, he knows how to move the screen, and he knows how to use the "apps" he has chosen. Using an iPad he already knows how to spell words like mule, elephant, and home. When he has finished spelling those words he wants to move on to "Ant Smasher." This is a game where ants crawl across the iPad screen and he attempts to smash them as quick as he can. This is an amazing hand-eye coordination game that teaches dexterity but not much else.

Being upstaged by a two year old is hard on an old man. Nevertheless, if it were any other two year old, I would be very upset. But, since this is my two year old grandson, I am very proud of him. He is a genius!

No comments:

Post a Comment