Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Service Star


The service flag first showed up in World War I. The flag has a large red border on all four edges and in the center is a white field. On that white field is a blue star or stars. If a family has more than one child in a war zone then the number stars reflects that family's commitment to the war. Fortunately, My flag has only one star. If a child is killed in the war the blue star turns to gold as if it is some sort of honor to lose a child to a political mistake.



The flag with one service star flew from a pole set up at the front door of my home for a year. Never in my imagination did I come up with the idea a service star flag would be a part of my home's outward appearance. In fact, I believed in 1989, when the Berlin Wall came down, there would be no more new war veterans and that eventually the Veterans Affairs Department would eventually go out of business. Also I never imagined that Islamic fanatics would fly loaded passenger jet planes into buildings and that George W. Bush would be elected president twice. Further, I never imagined the United States would attack a country that did not attack us first.

Because all of my imaginary ideas failed to materialize, I have decided to stop imagining the good that might be waiting for us and now I imagine only the worst that might be out there. Who knows what climate change will bring? Who knows what will be the unintended consequences of invading Iraq or prolonging a conflict in Afghanistan? Who knows what the consistent official lying of a government will do to our democratic ideals and our republic? I can only hope that the year my son spent in Afghanistand did some good and the sacrifice he made by being separated from his wife and two year old son is worthy of a good cause. But, I cannot imagine it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I cannot be classified as a "pacifist." I am an "old soldier" who served on active duty for more than twenty years. My military career included most of the years of the Cold War including two years in Viet Nam. Early in my military life I served in Asia with a stint in Korea. So, I am not one who can make a blanket argument for no military actions whatsoever, but I do think that the Congress's power to declare war has been usurped, I do think the people in power are too eager to use the military for foolish adventures, and I do think that the Defense Department's function is to defend the country not make war wherever a President wants to.

So, I have taken down the service flag. It is in my hall closet. I may burn it, or I may give to my son so if he has to see his son go off to war, he will have one. The flag, now, is faded and weathered, but if it has to be used again, it will be a reminder that we still haven't got things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment