Thursday, December 2, 2010

Too Much Television

Sometimes I think that my television watching time is too much. The reason I think this is because I find myself commenting on commercials.

The biggest peeve I have with television commercials is that husbands, and I presume boyfriends, are depicted as stupid or inept. The only exception seems to be when the husband or boyfriend is giving his wife or girlfriend an expensive diamond. Watch the commercials for awhile and you will see a stupid husband who can't do anything right. Husbands don't know how to get rid of bugs, wash windows, barbecue hamburgers, and so on. Once, I would like to see the man of the house do something that demonstrates aptitude.

Another commercial that truly bothers me is about some little wheat doodahs that talk. Recently they have been swimming in hot milk. No doubt these layers of wheat doodahs taste delicious and of course by now we all know we need whole wheat fiber (my mother called it roughage). I know at my age roughage is essential. She also complained, often, that cold cereal was no better than the box in came in; in fact, she would often suggest the box was better tasting and probably more nutritious. She made me eat cooked oatmeal. Once, on a snowy Saturday when all my playmates were outside sledding, I refused to eat the stuff (it had a scum of gluten on it I think and the milk had little flex of cream in it) and she declared I would not leave the breakfast table until I ate all the oatmeal in the bowl. I sat there long enough to see it really become scummy and the milk sour; I ate it for lunch.

Anyway, the little buggers in the commercial talk! That's right, they talk! Now, I am not going to eat anything that talks and enjoys swimming in hot milk and then talks about it. Can anyone imagine turning little squares of shredded wheat into talking buddies and then eating them? I can't.

Now you know why I think I am watching too much television. I think I will go to listening to books on CD.

1 comment: